02 Jul Sam Francis in the Anderson Collection
A major work by Sam Francis, “Red in Red,” from 1955, will be on permanent display in the new Anderson Collection building, scheduled to open at Stanford University in 2015.
Sam Francis, “Red in Red, 78.38 x 78.38 inches, oil on canvas
Purchased by the Andersons in 1969 from dealer Martha Jackson, “Red in Red” was painted by Francis in his Paris studio on the Rue Tiphaine, and was first exhibited in 1955 at the Galerie Rive Droite, Paris.
Francis at Galerie Rive Droite, Paris, 1955; photo © Pierre Boulat/Cosmos.
For more information about the Anderson Collection building, click here.